Borghese Gallery(Italian: Galleria Borghese)
Art Gallery of Gian Lorenzo Bernini (also spelled Gianlorenzo or Giovanni Lorenzo)
Map: from st. peter's square to Borghese Gallery
Villa Borghese is a large landscape garden in the naturalistic English manner, containing a number of buildings, museums and attractions. It is the second largest public park in Rome after that of Villa Doria-Pamphilj. The gardens were developed for the "Villa Borghese Pinciana" (Borghese Villa on the Pincian Hill), built by the architect Flaminio Ponzio, developing sketches by Scipione Borghese, who used it as a villa suburbana, a party villa, at the edge of Rome, and to house his art collection. The gardens as they are now were remade in the early XIX century. Today the Borghese Gallery is housed in the Villa Borghese itself. The garden "Casino Borghese", built on a rise above the Villa by the architect Giovanni Vasanzio, was set up by Camillo Borghese to contain sculptures by Bernini from the Borghese collection, including his David and his Daphne, and by Antonio Canova (Paolina Borghese), with paintings by Titian, Raphael and Caravaggio.
The gallery housed in the former Villa Borghese Pinciana. The Galleria Borghese houses a substantial part of the Borghese collection of paintings, sculpture and antiquities, begun by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, the nephew of Pope Paul V (reign 1605–1621). The Villa was built by the architect Flaminio Ponzio, developing sketches by Scipione Borghese himself. Scipione Borghese was an early patron of Bernini and an avid collector of works by Caravaggio.